Re: [ft-devel] Windows x64 Build

From: Kenneth Miller
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Windows x64 Build
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 12:35:50 -0700 (PDT)

Yeah I did. I'll get those, and round up your other requests soon.

On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:00 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> Well, I think that the separated win64 directory makes it obvious to
> users who want to build for that platform what to do.

I would rename the `win32' to `windows', and update the `index.html'
file in `vc2010' subdirectory with the proper information.

> I had to do all this searching around, and if I were not so outgoing
> I may have just suffered a lack of fuition and given up.  [...]  I
> spent probably 2 hours looking around at the Makefile and other
> files for building it I thought were pertinent to a mingw64 route to
> compile it, and went unsuccessfully down this path needing a 64 bit
> freetype.

Hmm.  In the `INSTALL' file, there is a section called

  4. With an IDE Project File (e.g., for Visual Studio or CodeWarrior)

that should you direct to the right directory.  Have you missed this
file?

> The win64 directory builds a correct freetype lib file for 64 bit
> platforms.  We're helping the users this way.  What is the final
> outcome?

I have to trade the additional maintainance burden against the user
benefit.  In my opinion, a single `windows' directory is better.

> By the way, if you're wanting
> verification that the win64 does build successfully by asking me to
> test it, I had to build freetype as a dependency of a 64 bit project I
> was compiling all night last night, so it definitely works.

Thanks!