Re: [ft-devel] Fast bisecting BBox_Cubic_Check

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Fast bisecting BBox_Cubic_Check
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 23:16:57 -0400

Hi Werner et al.,

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>> So I wonder what's the expectations for the BBox calculations?  Do
>> we really need accuracy better than 2 bits?
>
> I don't think so.  However, I consider it problematic that your
> code reduces the allowed bbox size...

Alright. I committed the scaling part of the BBox_Cubic_Check
implementation. No more overflows. In my testing the new
implementation if about 30% faster and more (yes more) accurate than
the old one. It is disabled but easy to enable in the repository.

If nobody complains, I will enable it in a few days. Then I plan to
remove the old implementation together with (internal) FT_SqrtFixed as
I do not think anyone uses it besides BBox_Cubic_Check now.

Regards,
Alexei