Re: [ft-devel] major autohinter change

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] major autohinter change
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 10:04:16 +0200 (CEST)

>> This is a major change which should improve the rendering results
>> enormously for many TrueType fonts
>
> Could you post a visual sample?

See attached; as the example I've used the VolvoSansLight font
discussed in another recent thread.[*]

Note that usually only TrueType fonts suffer from the bug which
explicitly define `on' points, this is, the pattern in the outlines
around an extremum is

  ... - off - on - off - on (extremum) - off - on - off - ...

Most TTFs, however, have this pattern

  ... - off - off - off - on (extremum) - off - off - off - ...

where the `on' points are implicitly defined to be in the middle
between the `off' points.

> Will this improve ttfautohint?

Definitely.  Except necessary extensions, I always keep FreeType's
auto-hinter in sync with ttfautohint.  However, I would like to hear
other opinions whether this really improves rendering :-)

    Werner

[*] It seems that `VolvoSansLight.ttf' has been auto-generated by a
    program called `Windows Type 1 Installer', including the hints.
    Looking into the ghostscript log files I see that Toshiya-san
    explicitly added code to gs to handle the broken `post' tables
    created by this software (search for `mpsuzuki' in
    http://ghostscript.com/doc/current/Details8.htm).

    BTW, Volvo distributes its corporation fonts in the OTF format:

http://comportal.penta.volvo.se/upload/Penta_id/Download%20logotype%20and%20fonts/Files/VOLVO_OT_Fonts.zip
    -- so if you use the latest FreeType version, you get excellent
    rendering with the new CFF engine, and the overall quality is of
    course much better than using the converted TTFs.

PNG image

PNG image