Re: [ft-devel] ft2build.h being regenerated each time.

From: Samuel Williams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ft2build.h being regenerated each time.
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 18:57:13 +1300

I build and install freetype into a local prefix for several platforms including darwin-osx and darwin-ios. These files then get used by other libraries. Those libraries track dependencies and if that file has a new mtime, it assumes that the file has been changed. When running a full build, all dependencies are also built in order which includes freetype. Freetype copies files with no regard for preserving mtime, and thus other packages which depend on that file assume it has changed.

On 5 April 2013 18:47, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> The main issue, as demonstrated, is that the mtime of the file is
> not preserved.  This means that build tools that depend on mtime
> (e.g. make) fail to work as efficiently as possible as it appears
> that the file has changed, but in actual fact it hasn't.

Up to now I've never seen the case that an *installed* file gets used
by `make'!  I consider it much more important to see when a file has
been installed actually.  For shuffling around files while building
something, the proper command is `cp' and not `install', AFAIK.

Can you please describe your setup in detail?

> Using -C instead of -c is a suitable solution from what I've read.

So use it.  I won't make this the default, however.