Re: [ft-devel] ft2build.h being regenerated each time.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ft2build.h being regenerated each time.
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 07:47:39 +0200 (CEST)

> The main issue, as demonstrated, is that the mtime of the file is
> not preserved.  This means that build tools that depend on mtime
> (e.g. make) fail to work as efficiently as possible as it appears
> that the file has changed, but in actual fact it hasn't.

Up to now I've never seen the case that an *installed* file gets used
by `make'!  I consider it much more important to see when a file has
been installed actually.  For shuffling around files while building
something, the proper command is `cp' and not `install', AFAIK.

Can you please describe your setup in detail?

> Using -C instead of -c is a suitable solution from what I've read.

So use it.  I won't make this the default, however.