Re: [ft-devel] ft2build.h being regenerated each time.

From: Samuel Williams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ft2build.h being regenerated each time.
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 14:33:33 +1300

The main issue, as demonstrated, is that the mtime of the file is not preserved. This means that build tools that depend on mtime (e.g. make) fail to work as efficiently as possible as it appears that the file has changed, but in actual fact it hasn't.

Using -C instead of -c is a suitable solution from what I've read.

Thanks for mentioning the solution to modify $INSTALL.

On 5 April 2013 04:38, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> It seems like the process to install files isn't preserving mtime
> which reduces the effectiveness of other build systems which work
> based on mtime for computing what needs to be compiled.
> Specifically, one case, ft2build.h seems to get copied without
> preserving mtime:
>
> /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./builds/unix/ft2unix.h \
>           {...}/darwin-osx-debug/include/ft2build.h

This is the normal GNU mantra, yes.

> Currently, it appears that freetype is using -c which is the
> default.  Using either -C or -p seems like it would fix the problem.

What `problem'?  Please elaborate.  Up to now I have never heard that
opion `-p' should be used for installing files, and I'm not aware of a
major package which does so.

Note that you can easily overwrite the used options of `install' by
setting the INSTALL environment variable.