Re: [ft-devel] severe problems with subpixel hinting

From: Infinality
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] severe problems with subpixel hinting
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 22:49:28 -0600

I'm trying to detect when functions match a certain criteria at FDEF
time, setting a variable in the execution context, and reading it
later during hinting, but it seems like it's not set to what I
expect it to be once the hinting process starts.
What's the problem?

Well, I'm trying to set a variable inside the execution context during Ins_FDEF that will set compatibility mode to "on" for the rest of the execution of glyph hinting for that entire face. I'm assuming that the FDEFs are only read once during the prep, and not every time a glyph is loaded. But, it "seems" (yes, a vague word) like compatibility mode isn't always on during execution, even though I know that the function opcode patterns were triggered, and compatibility_mode was set to TRUE for that execution context.

So, that makes me wonder if my assumptions about the execution context are even correct. Like, let's say that Times New Roman gets loaded, and Ins_FDEF detects that compatibility_mode should be set to TRUE. I set it as such, and then, Oxygen gets loaded, which sets compatibility_mode to FALSE, because it's a modern font without the triggering opcode patterns. Then, I load another glyph from Times New Roman. Will the execution context for that glyph have compatibility_mode set to TRUE or FALSE?

Basically, I just need a spot to store this compatibility_mode information so that it is preserved without having to re-execute the prep / FDEF stuff. Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Erik