Re: [ft-devel] severe problems with subpixel hinting

From: Infinality
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] severe problems with subpixel hinting
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:37:47 -0600

I'm unable to duplicate the first issue you mentioned, regarding the B/W text. When I run ftview as you stated, and hit 'a', the result is the same as your first picture, with the well-hinted monochrome characters. So, something must be different between our builds. I imagine that fontconfig settings should have no effect on ftview.

Can anyone else confirm or refute this issue, and help me to duplicate it?

Regarding the second issue, with speed, I am able to dupliate it with arial.ttf, but the ratio is 4:1 instead of 14:1. Regardless, I agree that it needs to be optimized to run faster. Given how I know the "rules" engine runs, I can see how the hinting process can take considerably longer. I've kind of been hiding behind the fact that they glyph bitmaps get cached after the first run, and load quickly thereafter. :) I'll see what I can do.