Re: [ft-devel] Porting to C#/Mono

From: Graham Asher
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Porting to C#/Mono
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 09:33:27 +0000

It may be of interest to know that some time ago I successfully got FreeType working as a pure .Net assembly - in other words, I compiled it as C++/CLI, which made it usable with general .Net applications. Of course, pure compilation is not necessary when using native-code assemblies, so this is probably of academic interest only, but may give some general guidance. There were just two problems, easily overcome; (i) the use of 'generic' as an identifier (e.g., in FT_FaceRec) - I changed them all to _generic to avoid conflicts with a C++/CLI keyword); and (ii) the use of setjmp/longjmp; I replaced these with the returning of error codes.

What I was trying to do (unsuccessfully, as it turned out) was to create a pure .Net assembly for CartoType, my map rendering library, for use on platforms like Windows Phone 7 which don't allow native assemblies or indeed any native code. That was impossible because (I believe) I had not removed dependencies on native run-time libraries; and now the task has been rendered unnecessary by the release of Windows Phone 8, which supports native C or C++.

Graham Asher
CartoType Ltd.