[ft-devel] Signed Euclidean Distance Transform (was Signed distance fiel

From: Vinnie Falco
Subject: [ft-devel] Signed Euclidean Distance Transform (was Signed distance fields: distance from any point to the glyph contours)
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:57:08 -0700

> My question relates to a more direct way to compute the signed distance and
> to know if
>anyone has already coded it by any chance ? Said differently, is there a quick
>way to
>compute the shortest signed distance from any point (x,y) to the glyph
>contours ?

You can do this in the pixel-domain, using any variant of the
"Euclidean Distance Transform." The fastest general implementation is
from Meijster:

http://dissertations.ub.rug.nl/FILES/faculties/science/2004/a.meijster/c2.pdf

I've implemented this code in my open source project:

https://github.com/vinniefalco/LayerEffects/blob/master/VFLib/modules/vf_unfinished/graphics/vf_DistanceTransform.h

Thanks

--
Follow me on Github: https://github.com/vinniefalco