Re: [ft-devel] Freetype 2.4.10 MSVC++ / Cygwin Compile fails

From: RMWChaos
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Freetype 2.4.10 MSVC++ / Cygwin Compile fails
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 11:07:02 -0500

On 2012-09-19 10:30, suzuki toshiya wrote:

[...snip...]
Ahh, I see. I will try.
Using autoconf for Cygwin/MSVC is pretty common in my (albeit limited)
experience. You can refer to various libs to see this for yourself. An
example is lib ICU, which has a "CYGWIN/MSVC" option in its configure
file.

I don't think ICU is good example, but anyway I will try some libraries
using genuine autoconf only.
I may be able to save you the trouble of testing further with cygwin bash / MSVC unless you truly want to see how it works. In that case, I can provide you with a test batch file that will automatically setup your environment for MSVC 2008 or 2010, download, and compile a number of libraries including ICONV, ICU, BOOST, ZLIB, PNG, POSTGRESQL, TIFF, LIBPROJ, GEOTIFF, LIBXML2, PIXMAN, CAIRO, SIGC++, SQLITE, EXPAT, JPEG, and JPEG-Turbo (all Mapnik dependencies). Probably can do a whole lot more that were pyspatialite dependencies as well, but there's a lot of crossover here. Note - with ICU, I don't use the custom ./runConfigureICU file, but the standard ./configure, which TMK is genuine autoconf. I could be wrong; it's happened once or twice. ;-)
To reiterate, I'm *NOT* running make in bash, but at the Windows CMD
shell prompt, which is not the same as what you were indicating with
"configure && make && make install". That may be where the
miscommunication is coming from here.

Oh! Thank you very much for clarification, yes, I had overlooked that
"make" was executed out of bash. I've never tried such.

As for saving you the trouble of testing altogether, as I further read and better understood the INSTALL.GNU and CUSTOMIZE docs and did a little further testing, I saw why "make setup ..." was auto-detecting as unix every time. If I remove cygwin from my path statement first, it then defaults to the dos/windows setup, which is an improvement. Unfortunately, something else is now failing...

    process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, type builds\newline, ...) failed.
    make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
    make: *** [dos_setup] Error 2

So now I need to figure out why that is. It might have to do with the code to replace unix-style forward slashes with dos/windows-style backslashes. I'll look into this further then see how the compile goes once it's actually detecting a Win OS rather than unix.

Additionally, I noted that freetype/builds/detect.mk is using a very klugy workaround for echoing newlines to the console. Instead of using this ...

        @type builds$(SEP)newline

With an empty newline file, it's much easier just to use this...

    @echo:

Same result, no fuss, no muss. Batch file magic. ;-)

Regards,

-RMWChaos

-RMWChaos