Re: [ft-devel] Regression issue - CFF

From: Chris Liddell
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Regression issue - CFF
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 08:27:00 +0100

This looks very much like a winding-rule issue. Despite Adobe's font documentation claiming that glyphs should be rendered with non-zero winding, the Adobe *font* scalers/renderers actually use even-odd.

This can be seen in CPSI (if anyone has access to it), by drawing a series of glyphs like the one in this example getting larger and larger.

They will start rendering as intended (with the bowl "hollow") whilst the font renderer is rendering them into the glyph cache. At some point, the glyph gets too large to cache, and the glyph is converted to path, and rendered by the "normal" line-art rendering code, using a normal fill operation - which is non-zero winding, and glyph ends up drawn as Freetype does (with the "bowl" filled).

We (Ghostscript) also have an example of a font with at least one glyph like this.

In my experience, most other PS/PDF products that implement their own font rendering have also adopted the even-odd rule, for obvious reasons: a well formed glyph, that follows the spec will render correctly with either non-zero or even-odd, badly formed glyphs, like this example, will still render as intended (although, arguable, not "correctly").

I've been periodically looking at revising the Freetype monochrome scan conversion code to optionally support even-odd, but I really haven't been able to dedicate the time to it to really make headway. (I believe, from the comments, that the grayscale renderer already supports even-odd).

If this looks like becoming more important, and no one else is up for it, I can try to focus more time on the task.....

Chris