Re: [ft-devel] optimal configuration to render fonts using gamma correct

From: Francesco Abbate
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] optimal configuration to render fonts using gamma correction
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 23:46:24 +0200

2012/7/31 Behdad Esfahbod <address@hidden>:
> On 07/31/2012 01:51 PM, Francesco Abbate wrote:
> An extremely powerful way to evaluate whether your gamma is correct is to use
> fore / back colors of the same luminosity but different hue.  Then if your
> gamma is correct, the blending edges should have the same luminosity as the
> fore / back colors.  See for example:
>
>   http://people.freedesktop.org/~sandmann/srgb.png

Very interesting indeed. I've made the test and it seems that my (AGG)
gamma correction is done right.

http://imagebin.org/222801

If I disable gamma correction and subpixel rendering the quality get
clearly worst.

So the problem is still standing about why fonts looks washed with
gamma correction. More important too, what is the better method to
render fonts ? Disable gamma corrections ?

Francesco