Re: [ft-devel] FW: PDF text rendering error

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] FW: PDF text rendering error
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 19:40:37 +0200 (CEST)

> embeded font 1_BKLGIB+FA.ttf i sent yesterday to test:
>
> ** Not possible to test anything with the font you sent (Fontlab,
> ** fontforge, TTX). try to see other glyphs !

The font is OK.  As I've mentioned before, it is *not* possible to
edit this font with FontLab or FontForge!  You need a special editor
to handle those rare fonts which use bytecode to scale and shift
subglyphs.

> -> Maybe see font source using fontlab (like you seem to use from
> your image), try to seefont validation (nodes to extrems, correct
> direction, remove overlaps) before all

This is completely useless with this font.

> ** http://www.nec.co.jp/csr/en/report2009/cs/ud/ud01.html at Universal
> ** Design Fonts ?

Yes, the font looks similar.  No idea whether this is still a `tricky'
font, or whether the font designer has decided to `expand' the
subglyphs.  For example, I have an old version of Microsoft's
`mingtiu.ttc' (version 3.21 from 2001, having a size of 8MByte) which
is similar to the BKLGIB+FA.ttf font.  A more recent one, version 7
from 2008 (delivered with Windows 7, having a size of 31MByte), is a
`normal' TTC.