[ft-devel] ttfautohint / Oxygen / infinality

From: Infinality
Subject: [ft-devel] ttfautohint / Oxygen / infinality
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 21:15:42 -0500

Hi guys,

Today I tested out the TT-instructed Oxygen font from the KDE repo with my TT subpixel hinting patches. This is the result:
http://www.infinality.net/files/oxygen-infinality-problems.png

Yikes!!! After examining the TT instructions in the instructed version of the Oxygen fonts, it looks like the way that ttfautohint is generating instructions is substantially different than typical TT-instructed fonts. Since my patches are attempting to do what the MS rasterizer does (at least with legacy fonts), I'm curious how these render on Windows. Unfortunately I don't have a Windows system available to test that on at the moment, however my guess is that it renders just fine on Windows.

I have a way to exclude certain fonts or individual glyphs within a font from using the tweaks that my patches employ (i.e. render it the way Freetype TT hinter does by default), but I'd rather not build up a giant hard-coded exclusion list of fonts generated by ttfautohint if at all possible. And, given that the TT subpixel hinting patches may soon land into Freetype, I'd like make them work nicely with other Freetype-related software. :D So, I'd like to adapt my TT hinting patches to gracefully handle fonts that have been hinted with ttfautohint.

My question is this: Is there something unique about ttfautohint-ed fonts that indicates they are already taking into account subpixel-hinting? I know there is the "ready for Cleartype" flag, but it never seems to be set in any fonts I've seen (including Oxygen), even the MS ones. Also, the Microsoft Cleartype fonts seem to behave well with my patches just as they are. They are designed for Cleartype/subpixel just as the ttfautohint fonts are. I guess I'm trying to reconcile what exactly ttfautohint is doing differently that causes these issues. Can any of you provide any insight?

Thanks,
Erik / Infinality