Re: [ft-devel] On contour directions and fill rules

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] On contour directions and fill rules
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 15:35:16 -0400

On 04/19/2012 03:11 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> A small remark:
>
>> - No self-intersection.  Now, when one says self-intersecting, one
>> has to qualify.  I was under the impression that assuming outlines
>> are not self-intersecting was a safe assumption.  However, I'm
>> convinced now that this is absolutely false assumption.
>
> Yep.
>
>> I'd say assuming that each *contour* is non-self-intersecting is
>> safe, ...
>
> No, it's not.  Especially after applying TrueType bytecode some
> outlines can be (intentionally) extremely distorted at small sizes.

Right.  Thanks for clarifying.  I mostly care about original glyph outlines
right no.

> And about your rasterizer:
>
>> I will also be presenting it at LGM and GUADEC.
>
> Which talk is this?  I fear I will be only able to attend on May 3rd
> in the afternoon.

It's on May 2nd 17:00.  I can present it to you over beer on May 3rd.

Ok, here's the project, until I write a real announcement email today or
tomorrow:

  http://code.google.com/p/glyphy/

> BTW, what's the main difference to the FreeType rasterizers?  Or have
> you been able to reuse some code?

It competes with freetype-gl really.  It's a GPU rasterizer.  The main
different with freetype-gl is that I don't do any sampling, so the glyphs are
truly infinitely zoomable.  The downside is that I do much (orders of
magnitude) more math in the fragment shader, and do more texture lookups.
That said, it runs at a decent frame rate already.

If trying this on intel Linux, you need mesa with this patchset or the shaders
wouldn't compile:

  http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2012-April/020721.html

behdad