[ft-devel] Issues due to commit "Fix metrics on size request for scalabl

From: Sebastien Bacher
Subject: [ft-devel] Issues due to commit "Fix metrics on size request for scalable fonts."
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 11:06:32 +0200

Hi,

We had report of regression in GTK markups rendering in Ubuntu precise, (i.e <u>label</u> would render underlined), I've tracked the issue to that commit:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/commit/?id=b0962ac34e66052ccfee7996e5468f30d4bd5a72

It turns out that same commit also got reported to http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=636776 as creating issues in emacs ("Line height squeezed in GNU Emacs")

Launchpad has a testcase showing the issue:
https://launchpad.net/bugs/955030
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-center/+bug/955030/+attachment/2988350/+files/lala.py

The label is not displayed underlined using freetype 2.4.6 or newer, reverting the pointing commit "fixes" the issue

We have reverted that commit in Ubuntu for now to workaround the issue but I would like to know how to determine if that's a bug in freetype or if other part of the stack (i.e gtk) would need to be updated to deal with the new freetype?

Thanks,
Sebastien Bacher