Re: [ft-devel] Patch to allow '\0' in sfnt name table entries

From: Huw Davies
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Patch to allow '\0' in sfnt name table entries
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 12:17:42 +0000

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 07:58:55AM -0400, Alexei Podtelezhnikov wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 7:26 AM, Huw Davies <address@hidden> wrote:
> > The attached patch fixes a problem with fonts that include a trailing
> > '\0' in name table entries.  Currently the font name would have a
> > question mark appended to it.
>
> Why would the name contain \0?
> Is this because entry->stringLength is larger than it should be?
> May this bug be somewhere else?

Yes, the name table entries of these fonts include a trailing '\0' and
the character counts include that '\0'.  The fonts are part of a
Windows resource (the Copyright entry says they're autogenerated from
'Bitstream TrueDoc').  I have no control over these resources - I'm
trying to make the program that uses them run with Wine.

Windows itself has no issues with these fonts, and simply uses the
name upto the '\0'.  It seems right to me that FreeType should do this
too.

Huw.