Re: [ft-devel] Auto Embolding of Lohit Devanagari

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Auto Embolding of Lohit Devanagari
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 20:29:08 +0530

On 27 February 2012 22:52, Alexei Podtelezhnikov <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM, address@hidden
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 27 February 2012 19:36, Alexei Podtelezhnikov <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 2:12 AM, address@hidden
>> <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > Still the major problem is broken upper horizontal BAR, in local
>> > language we
>> > call it Shirorekha. It should be continuous as it is in Lohit normal.
>>
>> In this particular font the glyph width is larger than it advance,
>> which is unusual.
>> FT_Outline_Embolden does not adjust glyph metrics. So I wonder how you
>> handle
>> the advance values or which higher level text layout library does that for
>> you.
>

> Earlier even me too thought it might be problem. But even if we make right
> and left kerning ZERO result does not change.
>
> Text "कखगघचाक"  u0915u0916
> I have changes width of only above characters in font  (see
> u'\u0915\u0916\u0917\u0918\u091a\u093e\u0915' characters)
> Updated TTF file http://pravins.fedorapeople.org/Lohit-Devanagari.ttf
> Updated Sfd file http://pravins.fedorapeople.org/Lohit-Devanagari.sfd
> Screenshot http://pravins.fedorapeople.org/Screenshot-lohit-test-3.png
>
> Does hinting makes any difference here with Bold?

Kerning and advance are different beasts. Your emails lack critical
details. Please give more details. We need a snippet of your code to
understand why advance values increased larger than they should have
been. I am pretty sure it is about the glyph advance. As you can see
the whole string is wider than the original one, probably a bit too
much.

Yes, width is definitely looks more than expected.  did you able to reproduce it?
I took above screenshot in gedit
gnome-shell-3.2.2.1-1.fc16.x86_64 pango-1.29.4-1.fc16.x86_64 freetype-2.4.8-2.fc17.x86_64 gedit-3.2.6-1.fc16.x86_64

yes I think  pango is also involve in this. Can i test Freetype auto-embolden with any freetype DEMO?

Thanks,
Pravin Satpute