Re: [ft-devel] A review of ttfauthint by designer of Siri

From: vernon adams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] A review of ttfauthint by designer of Siri
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 23:00:16 +0000

On 08/02/12 21:53, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 4:10 PM, vernon adams <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    disclaimer - it's an article written by the guy who accused me of
    piracy, so my views may be biased :P

Isn't it a compliment coming from a Swede? :)

good point! :)

The x-height issue should definitely be addressed though.  And the file
size thing is one of the first things I keep hearing about ttfautohint.
  I'm yet to checkout the code though.

Does TTfautohint allways snap upwards, to the pixel edge above? rather than snapping to the pixel edge below, even if the pixel edge below is closest? When hinting manually the direction of snapping can be controlled, so i'm wondering if it could be controlled by the autohinter too. Does freetype do this already?

If i look at manually hinted versus ttfautohinted fonts, at a range of sizes, and on GDI cleartype, greyscale, and Directwrite, i can see good manual hinting has the edge only on GDI at sizes below say 12pt. If the snapping at smaller sizes could be controlled in TTFautohint to get rid off "i" becoming "l" in some fonts, then overall i'd say ttfautohint is worth all the time saved from manual hinting.

-v