Re: [ft-devel] [RFC] FT_LCD_FILTER_HEAVY

From: Infinality
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [RFC] FT_LCD_FILTER_HEAVY
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:48:14 -0600

Well, given the fact that Freetype already has filters (LCD filters) in it, it made sense to me to allow other arbitrary filters too. It also has the advantage that you can get consistent rendering across different tools like Qt and GTK/cairo, assuming they hook into it. I guess I prefer a centralized approach, simply because I know that I (and other users) get frustrated when each of these toolkits decides to apply their own odd filters and tweaks, each different from the other toolkit, causing a different render in each one. I want my fonts to look the same in all my applications, or at least to have that option. Put more generally: I want to be in control of my font rendering.

Most of these filters are also small on code; only a few lines, so they wouldn't necessarily be littering anything up, and could even be in their own file.

Perhaps Freetype isn't the right spot for it, but I don't know where else it makes sense to put this at the moment. I think there needs to be some sort of intermediate layer, that is controllable by the end-user, that all toolkits respect, and whose filters they use, instead of implementing their own on top of it. Knowing that's unlikely to happen is why I've resorted to putting all this stuff into Freetype with my patches. That way I (the end user) can make it do what I want!

Thanks,
Erik