[ft-devel] Ugky workaround for VC9 bug

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: [ft-devel] Ugky workaround for VC9 bug
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:56:53 +0200

Hello guys!

After some (!) time without looking attentively into Freetype, I tried
to compile it with Visual C++ 9 (2008), using the integrated
("solution", "project") framework.

And I got an annoying warning (not fatal, just annoying):

C:\MSDev90\VC\include\sal.h(108) : warning C4001: nonstandard extension
         'single line comment' was used

A bit of googling quickly revelead it turns out to be a bug in the
headers distributed with the compiler; see for example
http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/99802 or
http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/356380

By the way, this very bug for Freetype has already been reported to
Microsoft,
http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/386835/#details
, but Microsoft's engineers were unable to reproduce it (?), and the
reporter did not insist...

I designed a workaround which is to disable that warning report while
#includ'ing the compiler's headers (which only occurs at one place
within Freetype as a library, in ftstdlib.h), but I do not feel very
proud of such an ugly kludge. If you are interested, I attach it anyway.

I do not have current access to Visual Studio 2010 nor 2005, nor the ARM
variant, so if someone with such compilers at hand can test it with and
without the patch, and see if it makes any change in warnings reported,
it would be useful.

Comments are welcome.

Antoine