Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint: How to install

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint: How to install
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 12:49:09 +0200 (CEST)

> What i have noticed with ttfautohint is that often e.g. a regular
> weight of a font will grow in size at a bigger % than the bold
> weight.  So i'm thinking the Regular is 'over-hinted', maybe.

Well, ttfautohint has no possibility to decide whether a font is bold
or not...  The Infinality patches, however, try to cater with such a
situation, giving different thresholds for bold shapes.  I haven't
checked yet whether this harmonizes (in your sense) the appearance of
regular and bold weights.  If this works as expected I could add an
option to ttfautohint to make it treat the font to be processed as
bold.