Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint: How to install

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint: How to install
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 12:16:35 +0200 (CEST)

> The 'final image' is simply the ttfautohint instructions with the
> addition of links (double links work best in this instance). I did
> no extra hinting from fontlab - [...]
>
> [...] if i look at the same font in FontForge's Gridfitmode, then i
> don't see the egging issue at all.

Exactly!  Such a big deviation between the rendering results indicates
a severe problem IMHO.

The only possible explanation I have so far is that the MS Windows
rasterizer never sees the IUP[y].  It's the last instruction in the
`fpgm' table, only followed by a final ENDF.  Maybe I've somehow
incorrectly implemented the generation of this SFNT table, but ttx
doesn't show any error, and a round-conversion gives the same size and
checksum of the `fpgm' table...

Just to be sure that an incorrect `fpgm' size isn't the problem I ask
you to try the attached font.  With FontForge, I've stripped off all
glyphs but uppercase `O', then I've disassembled it with ttx, omitting
the `FFTM', `GDEF', `GPOS', and `GSUB' tables, then added a dummy
function at the end of the `fpgm' table to make it bigger, and finally
assembled it again with ttx.