Re: [ft-devel] Registration of a set of trickyfonts by NEC

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Registration of a set of trickyfonts by NEC
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 18:50:21 +0900

One of the possibility (workaround for OOo) is the
extension of the tricky font detection by the name.
At present, only family name is compared, additional
checking PostScript name may be helpful for this issue.
OOo retains the name table (which is optional in
Type42 spec), so MingLiU can be detected correctly.

Unfortunately, NEC FA-xxx family have no name entries
tagged as "English" for family name, there are only
non-ASCII Japanese family names in the font. So the
tricky font detection by family name is difficult.
The family name in FT_Face object includes broken
Shift-JIS string. It is possible to register broken
Shift-JIS strings as tricky font name lists, but
there is a possibility of off-target strike.
In such fonts, still PostScript name is written in
ASCII, so I think the checking PostScript name is
easier.

However, current sfnt_get_ps_name() does not check
the name string if it is not declared as Microsoft/
UCS2/English-US or Apple/Roman/English. I will propose
some patch to add a fallback to other ASCII PS names.

# In fact, Microsoft/UCS2/English-UK, Microsoft/UCS2/
# English-Australia etc would be good candidates for
# fallback, although I'm suspicous if a font with
# English-UK but without English-US is popular.

Regards,
mpsuzuki