Re: [ft-devel] Hinting glitch?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Hinting glitch?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 14:37:24 +0200 (CEST)

> Attached is how the font "NanumGothic.ttf" (downloadable from here :
> http://hangeul.naver.com/download.nhn scroll down to the 7 green
> boxes and it's the third one along the top row) looks:
>
> @ Pixel Size 13
>
> [cid:C2DDDF1F-E850-4D87-B865-45318241A5C1]
>
> Notice how the letter i appears to be too tall in relation to the
> other letters.
>
> @ Pixel Size 14
>
> Now the i looks ok:
>
> [cid:FD1C366E-B3AA-4D86-ADF4-BCEEB6D2BC19]
>
> When hinted with the FT hinter, the letter i remains consistent.

I can confirm this observation, however, I don't see any problem with
the FreeType code, and debugging doesn't show a problem either: There
is no border case which could cause a rounding to a different vertical
value.

It would be interesting to see what Windows does, testing with both
ClearType switched on and off.