[ft-devel] The FreeType Project License

From: Jacob Wang
Subject: [ft-devel] The FreeType Project License
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 12:27:53 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

>From the website http://freetype.sourceforge.net/freetype2/index.html, it says
>that FreeType 2 is released under two open-source licenses: our own BSD-like
>FreeType License and the GPL. It can thus be used by any kind of projects, be
>they proprietary or not.

If I choose the BSD-like FreeType License for using the FreeType 2 software
font engine in a commercial product, it's clear to me that I need to
acknowledge in my documentation that I've used the FreeType Code with a
properly formatted copyright attribution statement for using the FreeType
Project.

However, it's not clear to me that if I use the FreeType packages with or
without modifications, am I required to redistribute the FreeType packages in
their source code format?

Actually, two separate questions: (in addition to the documentation
acknowledgement, license text and applicable change logs requirement for the
use of The FreeType Project)

1. Use FreeType Packages without modifications - do I need to redistribute the
original source and object codes?

2. Use FreeType Packages with modifications - do I need to redistribute the
derivative works in both source and object code formats?

Your prompt clarification is much appreciated!

Best Regards,

Kane