[ft-devel] a hidden gem: the autohint warper code

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] a hidden gem: the autohint warper code
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 09:39:34 +0100 (CET)

Folks,

as mentioned in a previous post, the warper code of the autofit module
has been disabled a few years ago to get a clean release; later on,
David Turner has essentially stopped working on FreeType, and the code
hasn't been activated since then.

Furtunately, the code still works out of the box.  I ask you to define
the `AF_USE_WARPER' macro in src/autofit/aftypes.h to activate warping
for FT_RENDER_MODE_LIGHT.  It greatly enhances the `crispness' of
vertical stems; the attached images (using DejaVuSans.ttf) demonstrate
the difference.

Please comment.  I wonder whether this shall be activated again.

    Werner

PNG image

PNG image