Re: [ft-devel] harmonize conic and cubic splines

From: GRAHAM ASHER
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] harmonize conic and cubic splines
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:53:59 +0100 (BST)

I'll try to find time - I suppose if I criticise I am obliged to ;-) But I am
rather busy and it'll be difficult. And I don't really agree with your
statement
that:

"It is undeniable that it is so much better to have the same algorithm in both
conic and cubic splines long term."

The cases are different and demand different algorithms. In particular, cubic
splines can be S-shaped - that is, the curve is on both sides of the chord -
leading to the use of different, and much more complicated, methods for
approximating the maximum distance of the curve from the chord.

I agree that the minimum distance should be the same for both pieces of code.

Graham