Re: [ft-devel] FT_MulFix assembly

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] FT_MulFix assembly
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 18:57:20 +0900

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
> The compiler generates the following assembly:
>
>       mov     %esi, %eax
>       mov     %edi, %edi
>       imulq   %rdi, %rax
>       addq    $32768, %rax
>       shrq    $16, %rax
>
> The movs there are obviously a bit silly (compiler bug?), but that
> output seems reasonably close to the asm() version, and obviously much
> more schedulable since the compiler knows what the insns do...

[...Actually the redundant movs, while they may be a compiler bug, seem
to be caused by the way I structured my test program; in a more
realistic circumstance I don't see them.]

-miles

--
Abstainer, n. A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a
pleasure. A total abstainer is one who abstains from everything but