Re: [ft-devel] Rendering artifacts

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Rendering artifacts
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:05:24 -0400

>> That said i first noticed the invisibility problem while using
>> seamonkey/firefox/whatever which all rely on fontconfig.

WL> Hmm.  You should file a bug report for fontconfig.

That is not a fontconfig bug.  Many -- maybe even most -- users want
only AA or only bitmap rendering, not (nonsensical) bouncing based on
px/em size.  As such, forcing the config to change based on the px/em
size is done in config files rather than by parsing the gasp table.

Many distributions include such config files when they package fonts;
each user gets to choose whether to link those files into their config.

I beleive the design decision goes all the way back to Keith; I do not
recall much opposition on the fc list whenever it came up.

(Personally, I'm in the only-ever-aa category at or below 200ish dpi;
I don't know how high the resoltion would have to be to prefer only-
ever-non-aa, but eventually performance would become more important
than appearance.  But I would never want to mix them.)

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6