Re: [ft-devel] Problem with ligatures and strikes

From: Graham Asher
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Problem with ligatures and strikes
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:09:27 +0100

In your image, why are the ligatures anti-aliased, while the main text is not? Surely you should generate non-anti-aliased glyphs to go with the non-anti-aliased bitmaps stored in the font file; or, if anti-aliasing is desired, the stored bitmaps should not be used.

In general, it should not matter if some bitmaps are missing from the set of stored bitmaps; they are (or should be) guaranteed to be the same as the bitmaps which would be generated from the outline and instructions in the font file. And that should include generated ligatures.

Graham

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
Hi,

The Calibri font shipped in Windows XP has bitmap strikes for a variety of
sizes, but from what I understand, no bitmap glyphs for many ligature
combination it defines in its GSUB table, for example, for 'tt', 'ft', 'ffi'
among others.  That results in very ugly rendering (see attached).

My question is, how does Windows deal with this?  Do they turn certain
features off if using strikes?  Not form the ligature if not found in the
current strike?  I need help understanding this to implement the correct
behavior since I don't have access to Windows.

behdad