Re: [ft-devel] questions about OpenType fonts with CFF data

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] questions about OpenType fonts with CFF data
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 08:26:10 +0200 (CEST)

> That problem is that I'm assuming there can be some restrictions
> when a CFF font is embedded in an OpenType font.

Actually, I think there are CFFs with Type 1 charstrings out there in
the wild, but it is definitely not the rule but rather the result of
poor conversion of Type 1 fonts to the CFF format.

>> (1) Most OpenTpe/CFF fonts I have seen have only one font in the
>> FontSet
>
> So, does this means that you have seen OpenType fonts with CFF data
> having multiple font?

This is not possible.  According to people from both Adobe and
Microsoft (as discussed on the OpenType mailing list, IIRC), a CFF
font in an SFNT wrapper can only have a single font.  This is
undocumented, however.