Re: [ft-devel] Anybody could check current FT2 for WATCOM compiler?

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Anybody could check current FT2 for WATCOM compiler?
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 02:44:07 +0900

Dear Werner,

Thank you for info. I've checked WATCOM C compiler manual

        http://www.openwatcom.org/ftp/manuals/1.5/tools.pdf

and I could not find appropriate options that makes WCC386
feed extra arguments from a file. In fact, the manual does
not mention about too long argument list trouble at all.
However, I could find the environment variables are useful.

# When I build a program like
#
#       for ( i = 0; i < argc; i ++ )
#               printf( "argv[%d]=%s\n", i, argv[i] );
#
# with WCC386.EXE, the program aborts by too long argument
# list trouble (binary built by bcc32 does not cause the
# trouble). I guess the trouble is caused by C startup
# routine in WATCOM C library.

* WCL and WCL386
The environmental variable "WCL" is referred by WCL.EXE
and WCL386.EXE (and WCL386 is referred by WCL386.EXE only).
and dealt as the most left arguments of the compilers.
But, if I move the long options to WCL and invoke WCL.EXE,
WCL386.EXE fails to invoke WCC386.EXE, because of too long
argument list trouble occurs. It seems that WCL386 makes
a concatenated argument list, invokes WCC386.EXE, and fails.

* INCLUDE
The environmental variable "INCLUDE" is referred by the
C prepropcessor. It is a semicolon-separated values
(aslike MS-DOS PATH variable), the length of "INCLUDE"
could be free from too long argument list issue.

So moving -I options to INCLUDE, -D options to something
like "WATCOM.H" (aslike ATARI.H) would be quick solution
for too long argument list issue. I will try to write
such hook in bcc.mk.

Regards,
mpsuzuki