Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter only works for unrotated text

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter only works for unrotated text
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 16:20:02 +0200 (CEST)

> it appears, that it's not possible to let freetype autohint rotated
> text.

Yep.

> My question is why this ist he case.

Just remember what autohinting actually does: It tries to align stems
and other features along a grid.  If you have rotated text, there is
no grid to align to.

> In our application we're only dealing with rotations of 90° steps,
> though.

This is a special case, not handled by lazyness.

> I'm not looking for a solution, just some information about why the
> autohinter currently only works for unrotated text.

Maybe there is a volunteer which wants to make the autohinter support
text rotated by 90°, 180°, and 270°?