Re: [ft-devel] Free-Type and Windows 7 beta data

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Free-Type and Windows 7 beta data
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 17:18:30 +0200 (CEST)

Wendy,

thanks for contacting us.

> I'm contacting you because we've identified reliability issues with
> freetype6.dll.  [...]

I don't know who is responsible for this particular FreeType DLL (it's
not us, the core development team).

> The issue here is that freetype6 is enumerating all the fonts in the
> Fonts directory, and it made it only as far as the H's before the
> user got impatient and killed the application.

This problem is not ours:

> Actually the enumeration seems to be coming from libfontconfig_1.

Exactly.  The FontConfig library needs to scan all available fonts
(only once!) to build a database, holding information about font
properties, and this, as you have been reported, takes some time.  I
believe this is not an issue directly related to the FreeType library
itself.

> Recommend putting up a progress dialog with a Cancel button or
> otherwise providing feedback to the user that progress is being made
> with respect to loading all the fonts (and giving them a way to
> cancel).

I don't know how this can be done (since I'm not a Windows developer);
however, there are some FontConfig people reading this list whom I ask
to forward your report to the developers who take care of the Windows
port of FontConfig.

   Greetings