RE: [ft-devel] Open Type Font Support on Mobile Devices?

From: Graham Asher
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] Open Type Font Support on Mobile Devices?
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 10:49:46 +0100

I am responsible for the original port of FreeType to Symbian OS, and I
believe that Symbian OS is now open source. I have also ported FreeType to
Windows Mobile for my map renderer, CartoType, and have experienced no
difficulties with it.

However, it's misleading to talk too much about 'porting'. Very few changes
are needed to FreeType (possibly none for recent versions), and it can run
practically unchanged on any modern mobile OS with standard C or C++ and a
rudimentary run-time library.

I haven't worked with specific OpenType features, so I'm as interested as
anyone else in OTF support.

Graham Asher