Re: [ft-devel] Searching for an FT2 tester program

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Searching for an FT2 tester program
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 21:51:33 +0200

2009/4/5 Oran Agra <address@hidden>
Hi,
Here's what I wrote him regarding this request.
Please tell me if you still want me to move these to ftobjs.h?

Arranging a set of patches where each of them is a meaningful unit of changes takes a lot of work.

I'll do that again, but I hope that's the last time I have to do that.

Regarding ftimage.h and ftrender.h,

These macros that declared there might be necessary if a user needs to instantiate an FT_Outline_Funcs or FT_Raster_Funcs or FT_Glyph_Class struct in his code and needs the code to be compatible with PIC.

I would prefer if these macros are defined in a PIC-specific public header, like "freetype/ftpic.h" or something like that.

Regarding the rest of the changes in ftmodapi.h and ftrender,

I don’t know if a user is expected to implement a renderer or a module externally (on his own), but if he does then he might need these macros too.

We don't support user-provided modules or renderers. We want the freedom to break things internally when it makes sense, and thus not expose too much of the font engine internal in its public API.

If not, then why are FT_Renderer_Class and FT_Module_Class structs exposed to the user?

A historical bad idea :-(

Anyway, if you do decide to move these macros to another header, we can do that after the current set of patches I'm preparing.

Thanks.

           Oran.