[ft-devel] Re: [ft] Quiestion about Windows Font sizes

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] Re: [ft] Quiestion about Windows Font sizes
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 13:35:57 +0100 (CET)

> I'm using FreeType in my Windows project, and I have some questions
> about Windows font size vs FreeType FT_Set_Char_Size /
> FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes:
>
> 1. In Win32 API, when I want to output a text at size, for instance,
> 11 (in wordpad I choose 11 in the combo list box), I use CreateFont
> / CreateFontIndirect with lfHeight set to -11. Supposing the dpi is
> 96, what sizes should I use in FT_Set_Char_Size / FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes
> to match as close as possible the Win32-rendered font ?

Regardless whether you use Windows or FreeType or any other
typesetting software: 11pt at 96dpi should be the same.

> 2. In Win32 API, I can create a font specifying only lfHeight,
> leaving lfWidth to zero. In FT_Set_Char_Size / FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes,
> how could I determine which width to use in order to match the
> Windows font size ?

I don't know the Win32 API, but normally you *always* specify only the
(design) height, setting the (design) width to zero.  This is the same
as if you set the height equal to the width, which means the same size
in both the vertical and horizontal direction.  If you select
different values the font gets distorted; in most cases this is not
what you want.