Re: [ft-devel] Incremental font support

From: Henry Stiles
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Incremental font support
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:59:12 -0700

> To help in debugging it would be great if you can provide a small
> stand-alone snippet which I can compile easily, together with small
> input data if necessary.

Hi Werner

ttgload.c revision 1.205 broke incremental font support for type 42
fonts (postscript embedded truetype fonts), revision 1.95 t1gload.c
broke type 1 incremental fonts.  The cvs logs seem to explain why each
change was made, each change effectively prohibits the loading of a
font without glyphs.  In the incremental interface all fonts load with
0 glyphs, glyph information is provided later.

To reproduce the problem build ghostscript with freetype and send any
postscript job with a type1 or type42 font, here is a simple test:

/Palatino-Italic findfont 20 scalefont setfont 250 250 moveto (freetype)
show showpage

to build gs with freeype:

make FT_BRIDGE=1 FT_CFLAGS=-I../freetype-2.3.8/include
FT_LIB=./freetype-2.3.8/objs/libfreetype.a debug

If the incremental API is for use only by ghostscript the fix is to
predicate the the two changes on the incremental interface being
undefined as the gs parser will check these conditions before
synthesizing the font.  If you have other clients of this interface
we'll need to study this more.

Thanks

Henry