Re: [ft-devel] Force PMingLiU like font do HINTING

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Force PMingLiU like font do HINTING
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 16:04:34 +0100 (CET)

> >> So anyone who use freetype or libraries that use freetype (like
> >> cairo) will have to be make awared of this problem. I'm not sure
> >> how practical this will be.
> >
> > Graham's suggestion of introducing a flag in FT_Face sounds good.
>
> If I understand his sugguestion correctly, the user always has to
> check the FT_FACE flag for the tricky fonts when he turns on
> NO_HINTING.  Therefore, the user has to know that there are some
> Chinese fonts which are tricky with hinting.

OK, you and James have convinced me to change my mind.

After some thinking I can imagine that the following works.

  . Add `FT_FACE_FLAG_TRICKY'.  If set, the font is tricky.  To access
    it, add a macro `FT_IS_TRICKY'.  [This is a read-only flag.]

  . Change the meaning of `FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING' so that fonts which
    always need TrueType instructions (these are fonts which have
    FT_FACE_FLAG_TRICKY set) ignore it.

  . Instead of adding a new `FT_LOAD_RAW' flag which would do what
    `FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING' currently does, I propose that we get the
    behaviour of `raw' loading if both `FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING' and
    FT_LOAD_NO_AUTOHINT are set.