Re: [ft-devel] Force PMingLiU like font do HINTING

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Force PMingLiU like font do HINTING
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 21:56:25 +0900

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 11:40:22 +0100 (CET)
Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I'm not sure if unpatented hinting solves the broken shape of
>> MingLiU completely.  I guess it's better than nothing but not fully,
>> and the introduction of the trick of conditional hinting cannot
>> close MingLiU issue.
>
>Mhmm, *theoretically* it should be sufficient.  Why do you think it
>isn't?

I'm sorry, I misunderstood the current situation. When I worked
for MingLiU issue in Ghostscript ever (including old FreeType
rasterizer), MingLiU had several glyphs (e.g. U+9C02) that their
shapes were still broken, although most glyphs are well rasterized
(in comparison with no-hinted results). Current FreeType2 rasterizes
U+9C02 well.

Regards,
mpsuzuki