Re: [ft-devel] freetype on the iPhone mentioned

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] freetype on the iPhone mentioned
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 00:23:39 +0200

we don't know if they use FreeType to render glyphs. maybe they've taken a few lines of source code to parse certain tables, or whatnot :-)

on the other hand, I confirm you that FreeType is used as the font engine in Android.

cheers

- David

2008/9/13 Behdad Esfahbod <address@hidden>
Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>> If you scroll down far enough in the Settings > General > About >
>> Legal section on an iPhone, you'll see a reference to the FreeType
>> license.  In my opinion, everyone who has contributed to FreeType
>> should be very proud of the excellent work they've done.
>
> We are :-) However, it's really surprising that Apple, the mother of
> TrueType, so to say, uses a different implementation.

Indeed.  I wonder why they don't use their own renderer.  Or maybe their
renderer uses FreeType on OS X too?!  Or maybe it's just to support other font
formats?  Bitmap ones maybe?  Donno.

behdad