[ft-devel] Re: freetype-2.3.7 -- ftconfig.h for biarch systems

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: [ft-devel] Re: freetype-2.3.7 -- ftconfig.h for biarch systems
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:50:31 +0900

Hi all,

Attached is a patch to support multiple architechtures that
use different sized integers (e.g. LP32 i386 and LP64 amd64).
At present, the patch is only for Unix-like platforms that
configure script proves the sizes for single architechture
and causes biarch problems (Savannah bug #21250, Mac OS X
issues). I have to note this patch is NOT the migration of
C99 that requires inttypes.h. I want to schedule the task
after the checking of 64bit support in FreeType2.

BTW, I want to ask a few questions to polish the patch...

Q1. the cpp computation of sizes of int and long should be
    separated to another file (e.g. include/freetype/config/ftsiztyp.h)?

Apparently, the cpp computation of size of int and long is
very long. There is another static ftconfig.h (include/freetype/
config/ftconfig.h) and  non-Unix platforms can have their own
ftconfig.h (like builds/vms/ftconfig.h). Although it's little
needed to apply my patch to them, keeping their difference
small is important for the code maintenance. If moving the
part added by my patch to new file, it is easy for all ftconfig.h
to refer it (if needed). Also if it is separated, it is easy
for configure script to check cpp-computation results are
same with the results proven by configure script.

Q2. ftconfig.h should be bi-arch by default?

Today, most binaries of FreeType2 on Unix platformts are
configured for single architechture, by running configure
script, or by ftconfig.h written/modified manually. I don't
know their maintenance style in detail, but I don't want to
confuse them. The safest way would be the restriction of
the cpp computation of size of int and long for special
case (e.g. configure --enable-biarch-ftconfig).

Regards,
mpsuzuki