Re: [ft-devel] Suggested patch for the opentype validator

From: George Williams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Suggested patch for the opentype validator
Date: 16 Jun 2008 13:37:04 -0700

On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 12:01, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> I believe you that this fix is necessary -- you certainly have a font
> which exhibits this behaviour.  However, the fact that it is possible
> to have NULL values in the `BaseRecord' table (similar to the
> `ComponentRecord' table as used in GPOS Lookup Type 6) is not
> documented in the OpenType specification 1.5.
Well it is implied by the second paragraph of Lookup Type 4:
        In the MarkBasePos subtable, every mark glyph has an anchor
        point and is associated with a class of marks. Each base glyph
        then defines an anchor point for each class of marks it uses.
The "it uses" implies that it doesn't need to use all of them.

> Please report this to the OpenType list -- since the MS people are
> working on the OpenType 1.6 specification it would be good to fix the
> description of the `BaseRecord' table.
OK.