Re: [ft-devel] Sublicensing and crediting FreeType2 in a DLL

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Sublicensing and crediting FreeType2 in a DLL
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 20:50:19 +0200 (CEST)

> However, i do not want them run intro licensing issues and thought
> of crediting FreeType2 in a splash screen at startup of any
> application using the engine.  Most BSD style licences allow
> crediting in "the documentation and/or other materials provided with
> the distribution" but FreeType2 requires it in the documentation. So
> this may be in the sense of the license but may not be legal.

This is an interesting problem, namely to distribute FreeType as part
of a library and not of an application, and up to now noone has ever
asked that question.

Personally, I consider a `splash screen' part of the documentation --
however, I can imagine that this is annoying to the end-user...

> I'm a bit confused and about to remove FreeType because i cannot
> ensure that every sublicensee properly uses the software.  But
> before i do that i at least want to ask you if there is a way.

What kind of license do you use?  Does an application which uses your
library have to display your library's license to the end-user
somewhere in the documentation?  Then it should be easy to add a
sentence that your library uses FreeType.

Are there other opinions and/or suggestions?