Re: [ft-devel] FT_HAS_KERNING

From: Deron Kazmaier
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] FT_HAS_KERNING
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 15:25:50 -0600

Hello,
A user just sent me to a collection of fonts (ADF_Fontspack -
Akandis Digital Foundry) that were not kerning.  I do my own kerning
processing, but I was using FT_HAS_KERNING to determine that there
was no need to look for kerning.

To cite the docs:

      FT_FACE_FLAG_KERNING ::
        Indicates that the face contains kerning information.  If set,
        the kerning distance can be retrieved through the function
        @FT_Get_Kerning.  Otherwise the function always return the
        vector (0,0).  Note that FreeType doesn't handle kerning data
        from the `GPOS' table (as present in some OpenType fonts).

Well, I took that check out and indeed these fonts have a
considerable number of GPOS kernings defined.

Today's fonts almost exclusively contain kerning via the GPOS table.

Indeed. Well, I must have gotten "lucky" that some fonts had other kerning that FT recognized ('kern'?) but also had GPOS kerning because the GPOS code was written and tested with the FT_HAS_KERNING test enabled.

Well, I'm glad to have an answer. Sorry I missed it in the docs!

Thanks,

Deron