Re: [ft-devel] Adding new platform to installer

From: Duncan Murdoch
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Adding new platform to installer
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:08:42 -0500

On 1/28/2008 7:22 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
I'm trying to use Freetype in an R package (see www.r-project.org for information about R). For Windows builds we have built a toolset that makes use of a subset of Cygwin, MinGW compilers, and a few modified tools, including modifications to GNU make so that it finds our sh. (See www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools.) The installer in Freetype doesn't work in this environment, and I'd like to add detection code and a .mk file so that it does.

Currently if I just run "make", it fails saying that "ver" and "type" are not found, presumably because it detects Windows and assumes I'm running in a CMD shell. Even if I do, I get the same error, because our make doesn't know about CMD internals.

Could someone give me hints about what to modify so that Freetype can detect our environment and build properly?

I've progressed a little further. I'm skipping the detection step, and specifying CONFIG_MK in the top level "make" command. Now I get this error:

$ make CONFIG_MK=../w32-Rtools.mk
Generating modules list in ./objs/ftmodule.h...
Syntax error: "(" unexpected
make: *** [objs/ftmodule.h] Error 2

This happens when it is processing the

        $(FTMODULE_H_INIT)

line in builds/modules.mk.

The make we're using is based on

GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for i686-pc-cygwin

Any ideas?

Duncan Murdoch