Re: [ft-devel] Reporting minor issues

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Reporting minor issues
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:43:18 +0100 (CET)

https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=freetype

> > Well, FreeType is just a small component in the rasterization
> > process.  What we need is basically a confirmation of the problem
> > with one of the ft2demos tools (e.g. ftview or ftstring) and a
> > recipe how to reproduce the bug.
>
> That's alright.  What information do you need in the recipe to
> reproduce the bug?

The FreeType version (ideally, the latest CVS source should be used to
test against), the font version, and, in case the ft2demo program
doesn't show immediately the problem, the keys to be pressed to unveil
the problem.

> Beside FreeType and fontconfig, what other components take part in
> the rendering process?

Well, the higher-level libraries like Pango, Qt, or ICU.  For example,
if you see kerning problems with OpenType fonts it's most likely *not*
a problem in FreeType.  Reason: Recent OpenType fonts have only GPOS
kerning which isn't handled by FreeType at all.