Re: [ft-devel] QRasterizer - a new rasterizer faster than freetype

From: Lars Knoll
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] QRasterizer - a new rasterizer faster than freetype
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 22:31:38 +0100

On Thursday 20 December 2007 22:08:51 David Turner wrote:
> so if I understand correctly, this is a monochrome-only (not anti-aliased)
> rasterizer that probably doesn't handle the subtle drop-out control rules
> we need for fonts.

No, it doesn't. It basically implements the same rasterization rules as X,
which is good for 2d graphics, but very different from what's needed for
fonts.

The main reason we went away from the black raster was that it gave slight
drawing errors in some cases (drawing two adjacent shapes that shared a line
could sometimes lead to dropouts between them), and that it has some
quadratic components in the algorithm. The quadratic algorithm is clearly not
an issue for fonts, but for 2d drawing where some people draw polygons with
10.000 or more line segments it is.

> I'm still interested to see how this works though. Anyone has the source
> code ?, I feel reluctant to download and unpack a 80 MB tarball just to see
> this.

http://labs.trolltech.com/gitweb?p=qt-snapshot;a=blob;f=src/gui/painting/qrasterizer.cpp;h=0b05a3749cc0916fbb30dd885c8a92ce688c1713;hb=99271fc5eb3c9ac279a9c611f01fb794d0ed1a8c
http://labs.trolltech.com/gitweb?p=qt-snapshot;a=blob;f=src/gui/painting/qrasterizer_p.h;h=3e4da2ec6d070803a52d72e34c6eb367391a904c;hb=99271fc5eb3c9ac279a9c611f01fb794d0ed1a8c

Cheers,